March 18, 1943
- Study diligently, grasp essentials, concentrate on one subject rather than seeking a superficial knowledge of many.
- Work hard and have a plan, a focus and a method.
- Combine study with work and keep them in proper balance according to time, place and circumstances; take care to review and systematize; discover and create.
- On the basis of principles, resolutely combat all incorrect ideology in others as well as in myself.
- Insofar as possible, make the most of my strengths and take concrete steps to overcome my weaknesses.
- Never become alienated from the masses; learn from them and help them. Lead a collective life, inquire into the concerns of the people around you, study their problems and abide by the rules of discipline.
- Keep fit and lead a reasonably regular life. This is the material basis for self-improvement.
Written at Hongyan in Chongqing during the rectification movement.